RE: XML name space (was: suggested new RRtype experiment)

2004-05-24 17:01:08
That doesn't appear to be the case to me.

The semantics of tags in XML are entirely controlled by their namespace. XML
Schema provides a formal notation by which the allowable tags in a namspace and
some restrictions on their structural relationships can be written down.

In particular, a schema either does or does not chose to allow, in certain
places, tags from foreign and / or unspecified namespaces to be used (see
xsd:any and xsd:anyAttribute); if no such allowance exists (and if type
inheritance is disabled) then the schema is closed, not allowing for any
extensibility.

XML namespaces are identified by URL; it is assumed that anyone inventing a
schema can by some means invent a unique URL for its namspace.

IANA registration of XML tags is thus totally and completely redundant and
irrelvant.

Deposition of a schema in an IANA repository is perhaps convenient to
programmers as a development aid, but has entirely and exactly zero semantic or
otehr significance to the specification or to the runtime interpretation of
instances of the schema in question.

   Bob

(Breaking my promise to be quiet; sorry.)