Duplicate messages

2004-05-29 11:59:33

Is anybody else getting duplicate messages from this list?

Regards,
Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Bob
Atkinson
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 1:00 PM
To: ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: www. convention and wildcards

It occurred over lunch today to me that the placement of A records in
the www.domain.com convention in widespread use for naming web servers
faces (so far as I can naively tell) *exactly* the same issues regarding
wildcards as the deployment of TXT records in the contemplated
_ep.domain.com convention.

It's also the case the scales of use involved in the two designs are
quite comparable: www. is used for comparably many domains as we hope
_ep. would be. Certainly the scales are not far enough apart not to make
a qualitative difference.

I'm unaware of (though I'm naive on this point) any critical or show
stopper issues in big domain hosters etc regarding the difficulty in
wildcarding the www. convention for web servers.

For this reason (not to mention those mentioned by others) I'm thus lead
to believe that the issue of wildcarding we've been discussing is
actually not of any real significance.

But perhaps I just need to be better educated.

        Bob