Re: CID sizes

2004-06-03 11:31:41

--"Eric A. Hall" <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> wrote:

DNS is not a directory. If folks want to store infinitely extensible
service-specific ~policy statements, they need to be stored somewhere
specific to the target service and limit DNS to the task of pointing
towards the external statements.

I think the owners of the DNS servers in question ought to have a say in what data gets carried by their DNS servers.

Issues about "correctness of design" are sort of lost on me... I have a very practical/pragmatic focus. Perhaps you could spend some time to rephrase the objections you have in terms of what exactly will break, in what ways, and what will be the side effects of that? Then people who actually own and operate the servers could make an informed decision...

To my mind, whether DNS is capable of doing something is easier to measure than whether DNS is intended for, or designed for, a given task. As a purely pragmatic approach, I want to know in a cost/benefit context, what are the costs vs. benefits of a. modifying DNS servers to serve the data we need (if indeed they are not "capable" of it today) compared with b. designing and implementing a new service that serves the data we need.