RE: suggested path and arch

2004-06-11 11:32:51

At 21:07 -0700 6/10/04, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
If you had listened to other people at the face to face rather
than shouting them down you would know that DNSEXT is not an
option here.

I'm assuming that DNSEXT is a typo.

What I heard at the face to face, and what was circulated in email at the time was that:

Could a new type be entered into existing DNS servers? The answer was yes, there was a survey of DNS implementations on the mailing list [0] showing support for new types. It might require hex encoding of the RDATA of the type, but existing name server code is able to understand what's been called "an unknown" type.

Could an application on a client be able to query directly for the desired type, foregoing the native OS support? The answer I heard was yes except for those clients that are obscured from the Internet by an environment that only allowed RPC access to lookup services.

[0] Survey is: http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg01423.html
[1] Claim that this can't be done in Windows:
               http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg01471.html

I can't find an answer to "couldn't a client program just to the lookup itself, if the OS didn't support the new type?"
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Even the voices inside my head are refusing to talk to me anymore.