Re: suggested path and arch

2004-06-11 17:39:07

I can't find an answer to "couldn't a client program just do the
lookup itself, if the OS didn't support the new type?"

For clients that can exchange UDP packets with the Internet, either
directly or through a DNS cache, almost certainly yes.  For clients
behind RPC-speaking firewalls, nope.

A closely related question that I haven't seen addressed is how hard
it would be to provide a new specialized MARID RPC service to run on
the firewall for the benefit of MARID clients that are in RPC jail.