RE: Alternative to TXT or new RR was: Comments on draft-ietf-marid-core-01 xml use

2004-06-11 16:55:56

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Michel Py wrote:

william(at)elan.net wrote:
[..] I was joking because while this may seem like a way out,
in no way do I think it should be done or that it'll ever fly
by IETF top guys. We should never attempt to completely take
over somebody else record, that is a very bad precident for IETF.

Then, which one out of the three alternatives I posted yesterday would
you recommend (or add your own)?

1. We do it quick and dirty with TXT.
2. We do it right and slow with a new RR type.
3. We say that we'll go with 1 as a temporary
   measure and with 2 in the long run.

I'd prefer #2 actually.
I think it would not be as slow as you predict because greater majority
of mail operators are not using microsoft os (> 80%) and will be able to
use new MARID record type quite quickly. Having situations that unix folks
are able to do it while microsoft can not will put greater pressure on
microsoft (plus their charimans's comments that spam problem would be
"solved" by 2006) and might even cause to have patch for dns resolver &
dns server released before next OS.

That said I'd be ok with option #3.

--
William Leibzon