Re: CSV specification revision available

2004-06-15 08:53:43

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, John Leslie wrote:

4 Independent Policy Services

"In effect, the question about domain name use is a question about the
reputation and accountability of the domain name administrator."

No, it is a question about the reliability of the host. This entire
section refers to a part of the CSV process covered by the DNS draft.

   I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree here. We intend for the
domain-name to be closely bound to those who administer the host --
not the machine itself. And we're more concerned about quick response
to problems than we are about the actual configuration of the host.

OK, but how does the section relate to authenticating that the host you
are talking to is permitted to use the name it has claimed? There's no
description of a mechanism for doing that.

draft-crocker-marid-csvdna-00

There's no discussion of the obvious attack of a client recommending
accreditation services that all say the client is wonderful.

   I must disagree. See section 3, specifically the discussion of
"negative weighting", for example.

Ah yes. This should probably be cross-referenced in the security
considerations section, and flagged as an important consideration if the
SMTP server pays any attention to the client's suggestions.

Otherwise thanks for reading my comments. I look forward to the next
versions of the documents.

--
Tony Finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/