Re: Its the XML infoset that is key RE: Working toward unity on XML

2004-06-16 11:13:37

In
<C6DDA43B91BFDA49AA2F1E473732113E5DBDE6(_at_)mou1wnexm05(_dot_)vcorp(_dot_)ad(_dot_)vrsn(_dot_)com>
 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> writes:

What we definitely should not do is try to predict the disposition of the
IESG through clairvoyance as some are suggesting. If the IESG want to make a
point to the group then they should send us an email. I do not accept the
claim that we should change course here and make decisions on what have been
flagged as showstopper issues by key stakeholders on the basis of reading
tea leaves. If this is a showstopper issue for the IESG then it is Ted's
responsibility to tell us.

Who are these "key stakeholders" who have put a stake in the ground
about requiring XML and won't budge?

Is it the domain owners?  Hmmm... no.

The mail admins?  No, they tend to be against XML.

The MTA authors?  Well, many are likely to be pragmatic and support
XML, but that is far from flagging the removal of XML as a show
stopper.

So who is this Mysterious Stakeholder who seems to think it is
important enough in the email world to have a Monopoly Situation?  Is
it right to let this Mysterious Stakeholder dictate its requirements
for an engineering task force?  What if stakeholders such as Equally
Large, Another Outrageously Large, or Yet Another Huge Online
Organization step forward with their own (conflicting) demands?  Do we
try to appease everyone?

Will this Mysterious Stakeholder really refuse to support a MARID RFC
if its demands are not met?  Even when the US government (FTC) is
considering email authentication requirements?

I completely agree with Phill.  Trying to use tea leaves to divine the
position of the IESG is not reasonable, they should just openly tell
us.  On the other hand, I don't think it is productive to have vague
references to a Mysterious Stakeholders who can veto the widespread
adoption of a MARID RFC.

I think it is time to call the Mysterious Stakeholder's bluff.

Mysterious Stakeholder, please step forward and tell us:

1) When, if ever, you will release products that would support a MARID
   RFC if they include XML?

2) When, if ever, you will release products that would support a MARID
   RFC if they *do not* include XML?

-wayne