what, precise, is SPF and what is not SPF?

2004-06-24 05:29:26

Meng (and everyone else),

I'd like to ask that we step back and consider something rather basic.

MWW> I have been calling this approach "Unified SPF" --- it
MWW> embraces the CSV and the MTAMark/SS semantics using the SPF
MWW> syntax and lookup, just as SPF has embraced the CallerID
MWW> semantics with SenderID.

When I first heard about SPF, I thought I knew what it was. Over time,
I have become quite sure that I don't. The text of your note, "Unified
SPF" eliminated any doubt that I might have had. A specification that
increasingly is described as being able to do everything is one that
always confuses the heck out of me.

So I would find it extremely helpful to hear some precise descriptions
of what this thing called SPF really is and what it really does.  When
we have a clear and consistent understanding of it, the community can
reasonably assess what is reasonably appropriate to count within SPF
and what should be counted as outside it.

Knowing what is NOT in a mechanism is often more important than
knowing what is IN it.  For all discussions over recent months, it
appears that every feature for spam and spoofing control can be
incorporated in SPF.  This should give us some pause. Offhand, I
cannot think of a successful Internet protocol that has demonstrated
this degree of flexibility.

By way of pursuing this off of a previous, related thread:

MWW>      SPF is extensible.  Multiple mechanisms can be defined.  While other

 Extensibility is always appealing, but it also often is surprisingly
 risky, both in the near-term and the long-term. Referring to it can
 be a mantra for avoiding careful analysis in the near-term and for
 deferring considering of essential issues. Of course, in the
 long-term it can fail to support the promised enhancements, at the
 least resulting in massive opportunity costs.

 Here, it raises a rather basic question: What, exactly, is SPF? What
 mechanisms does it provide? What incremental value-add does it
 create?

 My reason for asking such a basic question is that I think it is
 important for the community to be clear about proposals, so they know
 what they are "buying". The alternative is that they will have
 unrealistic expectations and wind up at least disappointed, and
 possibly far worse.

 (The delays in issuing the recent version of our own CSV proposal was
 that we felt it essential to hold it to this strict standard of
 clarity. It turned out to be remarkably difficult to be sufficiently
 clear about describing the details of functionality, even amongst
 ourselves.)

 A number of different answers about SPF are possible. I suspect my
 own list of choices is woefully incomplete, but here goes:

    LABEL: SPF is a a suite of essentially independent tools, brought
    under a common label. Taking the example of the extension you
    suggest for DomainKeys, SPF does not "do" DomainKeys, Rather, it
    "refers" to it. What does it actually mean to say that SPF
    "supports" DomainKeys? At the least, this means that the cited
    mechanisms need to be evaluated independently, to consider their
    independent behaviors and merits.

    CAPABILITIES: SPF is a means of publishing email reception access
    control capabilities. Hence it permits sending SMTP clients to
    know what tests they will be subjected to and, by implication,
    what tests they need to facilitate, such as doing their own
    publishing of relevant information, marking of individual
    messages, etc. It is worth noting that the DNS is only one, useful
    means of getting information published on the net. In fact there
    are some IETF "capabilities" standards that support alternative
    means of permitting such publishing through different channels.

    POLICES: SPF is a means of publishing email reception access
    control capabilities, as well as detailing parameters for the
    behavior of the supported mechanisms. Given the current meaning of
    the "P" in SPF, this might seem the obvious choice, but public
    discussion usually describes SPF as "doing" the control
    mechanisms, rather than only "describing" them.

    PLATFORM: SPF is a means of performing a series of email reception
    access control tests. It provides an common, integrated platform
    for these test, leveraging common component mechanisms for
    efficiencies such as simpler software and easier administration.
    Including something like DomainKeys would suggest that that this
    choice does not apply, since DoimainKeys is an entirely
    independent mechanism.

 The reason this question is important was underscored at the SPF BOF
 at Inbox event: a room full of staunch supporters also thought the
 question important enough to discuss and participants gave
 significantly different answers. Even supporters are not very clear
 about the details of the job that SPF does.

 For a specification that has been around this long, that kind of
 uncertainty is worthy of note and repair.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>