Re: Will SPF/Unified SPF/SenderID bring down the 'net?

2004-06-29 03:42:58

I agree with greg.

Any spammer trying the proposed mechanism is going to end up causing the
target sysop to come in and see that spf just rejected several hundred
thousand spams.

I can't see how that would stop the sysop using spf, quite the opposite.

I do not have time to analyse arguments in hermeneutic form, nor should this
be necessary given that the original speaker is here.

Doug might think he has made himself clear, but every time I read a post
from him or mathew I see yet another interpretation of the text.

I think it is very obvious that any attempt by the spammers to intimidate in
the manner suggested is going to fail, it fails for the same reason
terrorism fails. The attacker does not have the resources to attack more
than a small number of targets at any given time.

If your macro language offend yee then pluck it out.

There is a separate thread on the factored records issue. I see no reason to
specify anything more than a set of ip addresses with the administrative
flexibiloity that margaret has argued for. It is possible that an argument
could be made for expansion by the username component of the email address.
That is a worthwhile discussion.

The reason I do not want to go down the csv path is that I have yet to see a
clear and concise explanation of the proposal. All I see is fud about other
proposals.

If there is a there there it will be possible to state in a short post the
changes necesary to express csv semantics in spf syntax.