Re: The problem with Unified SPF

2004-06-30 15:03:55

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:21:47PM +0100, Roy Badami wrote:

| OK, here's what I see as the probems with Unified SPF (as I understand
| the proposal) as compared with using SenderID in conjunction with
| CSV/CSA.
|
|    A complex SPF record may reference many different providers,
|    whereas a particular HELO string will typically come from a
|    specific MTA.  The big problem though is when an SPF record ends in
|    ?all or ~all.  It is counterproductive to encourage people to use
|    this same record for HELO checks.  You may not know all the MTAs
|    that might sometimes originate mail for your domain, but HELO
|    strings typically identify individual MTAs, and you almost
|    certainly know the exact list of IP addresses in use by a specific
|    MTA under your control.  Encouraging people to relax the HELO check
|    just because they don't feel comfortable with a strict PRA (or MAIL
|    FROM) check is undesirable.

The problem statement seems to assume that domain names used
in MAIL FROM will overlap with domain names seen in HELO.
If I read this assumption wrongly, please correct me.

  HELO domain.com
  MAIL FROM:<user(_at_)domain(_dot_)com>

In this situation, an SPF record could easily become
unnecessarily complex for HELO purposes.

  domain.com. TXT "v=spf1 include:this include:that a mx ?all"

If the domain admin changes the HELO string to be:

  HELO mta1.domain.com
  MAIL FROM:<user(_at_)domain(_dot_)com>

Then the problem goes away.

  mta1.domain.com. TXT "v=spf1 a -all"
  domain.com.      TXT "v=spf1 include:this include:that a mx ?all"

Is that any better?