Re: CVS Questions/Comments [was Re: Comparing apples to multiple, hypothetical oranges]

2004-07-02 07:13:24

Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> wrote:

1) Are there any CVS test sites to test/compare results?

   I wouldn't quite call it a "test site", but I have placed CSV records
for JLC.net.

   Most of our mail goes out through "mailhost.jlc.net"; thus there are
DNS records (in bind format):
"
" mailhost        IN      A       199.201.159.9
"                 IN      PTR     _vouch._smtp.csv_vouch
" _client._smtp.mailhost  SRV 1 2 0 mailhost

- saying that mailhost.jlc.net is authorized as an SMTP client, and that
  the list of IP addresses is not empty; and
- saying that the csv_vouch.jlc.net reputation service will vouch for it.

   (Not surprisingly, csv_vouch.jlc.net reports an "excellent" rating.)

2) Are there any DNA sites to test/compare results?

   CSV_vouch is a separate zone:
"
" $TTL    7200
" @               IN      SOA     jlc.net. tech.jlc.net. (
"                                 1
"                                 7200 ;
"                                 900 ;
"                                 86400 ;
"                                 7200 )
"                 IN      NS      ns1.jlc.net.
"                 IN      NS      ns2.jlc.net.
" mailhost.jlc.net        TXT     "MARID,1,A"

3) Do you have a list of CVS ready domains I can use for testing logic?

   No. (Perhaps I'll get a round tuit...)

4) Is Acceditation required for CVS to be useful? In other words, is it
   useless without it?

   "Accreditation is in the eye of the beholder."

   CSV certainly is not "useless" without formal accreditation services.
Without any accreditation service at all, it can report, "This domain
operates no mail-servers" based upon a "SRV 1 1 0" record.

   Without a real-time accreditation check, you're at risk trusting a
CSV report of "authorized"; but until spammers adjust, it would be
relatively safe to let this override an IP-based blacklist.

   And surely the authorization info, recorded in a Received header,
should prove helpful in directing spam reports.

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>>