Fwd: MARID use of reverse-DNS

2004-07-02 15:36:28

Paul Wilson and George Michaelson of APNIC sent us this note regarding the use of Reverse DNS for any MARID proposals. APNIC is one of the four Regional Internet Registries (RIR), the entities responsible for the management of IP address allocation and delegation and management of the Reverse DNS space.

-andy

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Wilson <pwilson(_at_)apnic(_dot_)net>
Date: July 2, 2004 2:00:28 AM EDT
To: "Marshall T. Rose" <mrose+mtr(_dot_)mxcomp(_at_)dbc(_dot_)mtview(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us>, Andrew Newton <andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us>
Cc: George Michaelson <ggm(_at_)apnic(_dot_)net>
Subject: MARID use of reverse-DNS

Marshall, Andy,

We're emailing you as co-chairs of MARID to register the interest of
RIRs in any outcome from MARID which defines a role for reverse-DNS records.

As you will know, administrative management of reverse DNS delegations
vests in the RIRs, as a function of our overall role. We are both a
registration/maintenance entry point, and a provider of the operational
reverse DNS services related to address space under our management.

We are aware of issues in the depth of coverage in reverse-DNS, in two ways:

Firstly, there is an ongoing 'lame' state for delegated address ranges
(of the order 20%) which we are now actively managing through a
(recently developed) lame DNS detection, reporting and cleanup process.

Secondly, the participation rate in reverse-DNS is less than 100%,
varying by country, age of network, and maturity of regional/local
Internet/ISP coordination.

These issues need to be considered within any MARID deployment strategy,
and in your analysis of the deployment outcomes for SMTP or other email
delivery methods using reverse-DNS.

The RIRs do have an interest in two or more domains of concern:

1) Operational Impacts

If MARID relies on reverse-DNS, this will have implications for our
management of service, and the services we provide to our
members/customers to support their own use of the service.  There will
be additional overheads for RIRs in terms of data management, and some
software development will certainly be required.

In terms of the operational DNS service provision, our current platform
has been scaled progressively with growth in the absolute number of DNS
lookups, and the scaling function to date has been essentially linear.

Should MARID require each SMTP transaction to perform a reverse-DNS
lookup, we would face an increased growth in traffic, in proportion to
the rate of in both packets and bytes/sec served, and probably need to
investigate changes to our deployment methodology in line with the root
servers, such as use of anycast DNS, and improvements in DNS zone
management to scale with the increased rate of change as the
non-delegated reverse spaces (and lame reverse spaces) scramble to
comply with SMTP delivery obligations.

2) Policy Impacts

RIRs do not have an 'enforcement' role with respect to reverse-DNS, in
terms of “completeness” of records; however we do take an active role
(as mentioned above) to detect and correct certain specific cases of
correctness of the records. The specific extent of our authority may
need to be borne in mind in this standards development process.

That said, the RIRs’ specific responsibilities and activities are the
result of community consideration and consensus.  Any proposal to
substantially revise any responsibility or activity is normally taken
through an open policy process which can certainly accept such
initiatives, but which may take 3-12 months to complete.

Therefore we suggest that you consider providing advance notice to RIR
communities of any future proposal, through informational presentations
at future meetings.  In the case of APNIC, our next meeting will take
place in Fiji between 31 August and 4 September 2004, and you would be
welcome to take this opportunity to make such a presentation.

George will be in San Diego for IETF-60, and interested to hear an update on this.

Thanks.

Paul Wilson
George Michaelson
APNIC

_______________________________________________________________________ _ Paul Wilson, Director-General, APNIC <dg(_at_)apnic(_dot_)net> http://www.apnic.net ph/fx +61 7 3858 3100/99 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- - See you at APNIC-18! Nadi, Fiji, 31 Aug - 3 Sep 2004