Pejorative wording in draft-ietf-marid-rationale-00

2004-07-03 20:11:06

"Behind the curtains: an apology for Sender ID" mentions several times
people who manage their own email server by calling them "hobbyists".

This seems to imply that people who dare to send email themselves
instead of relaying through their IAP server are not professionnals,
probably bearded, penguin-lovers (Linux is mentioned, as if they were
no MTA on FreeBSD or MS-Windows), and generally not really worthy of
MARID's attention.

The world of people who send email directly is much larger than the
few students trying to learn Postfix. Many small organizations prefer
to run a MTA, to avoid the performance penalty, and lack of accounting
that comes from trusting the IAP mail server.

I know that some IAP claim that no one in the future will send email
directly (and some do forbid it, for instance by transparent proxies
on port 25), but I hope MARID does not endorse that view.

If so, I suggest to replace "hobbyists" by "managers of their own
MTA".