Re: Comments on marid-submitter-01

2004-07-05 04:51:11

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
To: <ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 7:22 PM
Subject: Comments on marid-submitter-01

4.3 Transmitting to a Non-SUBMITTER Aware SMTP Server

   When an MTA receives a message with a SUBMITTER parameter and must
   forward it to another MTA that does not support the SUBMITTER
   extension, the forwarding MTA MUST transmit the message without the
   SUBMITTER parameter.

This is a very big decision.  I don't know whether I think it is right
or wrong, so I'm flagging it, hoping the working group discusses it.
It makes it easier to adopt, but greatly weakens its import.

Well, the non-compliant SUBMITTER receiver will probably use CSV on the
sender then :-)

or use SPF with a simple HELO modification.  So even if:

        SPF(sender-MAILFROM , ip) -->  FAIL

the HELO Lookup:

        SPF(sender-HELO, ip) -->  PASS

must be true if the sender is a compliant SPF/SUBMITTER client.  After all,
it has made extensive changes to SMTP in order to comform to it in the first
place.  The client domain used must be MARID ready if you want to keep the
chain of trust unbroken.

http://www.santronics.com