Re: REDIRECt to ASRG RE: Reputation systems

2004-08-16 18:00:48

I agree.  It's quite appropriate for the ASRG IAR (identity,
authentication, and reputation) subgroup, on the list
iar(_at_)asrg(_dot_)sp(_dot_)am(_dot_)

I think that this is getting into an ASRG question.

If we create a graph of false positives vs false negatives we get
an L shaped curve for most filtering technologies that are
parameterizable and a point for a non perameterized technology
such as a blacklist.

Rather than arguing this point round and round does anyone have
a ready made graph with the various blacklists plotted on it so
that we could make a useful comparison?

There are two reasons why a list would have more false positives,
the listing criteria/application thereof could be wrong or the
list could be more aggressive in listing more spam sources.

If List-A listed 100 addresses and 80 were wrong this would result
in fewer false positives than List-B listing 1,000,000 addresses
with 800 wrong. So there is a discrimination function here...

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor