RE: Point of Order: Incomplete, flawed response to MARID WG Chart er

2004-08-18 07:16:08

Is it in order for the WG to proceed to last call with a
solution which:
-  addresses only half the problem space and
-  increases the number of unauthorized, frequently
virus-carrying, messages
   on the Internet?

By longstanding IETF precedent a charter only states the problems that
a WG MAY solve. There is no requirement that the eventual solution
MUST meet all the criteria that might be claimed to be in the scope
of the charter.

In the case of bounces Jim Lyons proposed a scheme that allows a party
acting on their own to eliminate fake bounces without requiring
any other party to adopt the standard.

Perhaps this could be written up as informational so everything was
on the table.

Just to illustrate the weakness of the current WG proposal, I
postulate some
press headlines which, in my opinion, would be
technologically accurate:

They would not be technically accurate in my opinion.