RE: Point of Order: Incomplete, flawed response to MARID WG Charter

2004-08-19 18:46:42

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy Badami [mailto:roy(_at_)gnomon(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk]
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:17 PM
To: terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com
Cc: 'Roy Badami'; 'John Glube'; 'Daryl Odnert'; 'Chris Haynes'; 'Harry
Katz'; 'IETF MARID WG'
Subject: RE: Point of Order: Incomplete, flawed response to MARID WG
Charter

I say again:

SPF does not prevent backscatter (at least not unless every MTA on the
planet adopts it).

SO?!  I only care about if certain portions of the internet adopt, specifically
those who know my
users/have my users addresses in their addressbook.  (Read "stop those virus
bounces from infected
people who know my people")

The backscatter issue does not consitute an argument against
proceeding with the work on Sender ID and CSV (the WG's current work
items) though both will result in backscatter to some extent.

    -roy

OK.  I just reread the charter:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/marid-charter.html

And if MTA autorization:
-increases backspatter (you said it, not me)
-doesn't stop spam (may reduce only 1 type of spam source, spammers will adapt)
-only makes a dent in 1 kind of phishing (can't touch social engineering types)

I have been trying to keep up with the group, but perhaps I fell behind: Please
help me out: What is
"MTA Authorization" aka "Sender ID" good for then?

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085