Re: SPF is not an antispam technology

2004-08-22 12:13:26

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 07:50:09PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:

| Someone was saying on-list that the objective of SPF isn't to reduce spam.

SPF/MARID/SenderID are not antispam technologies in the same
way that flour is not food.

Flour is food, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Perhaps you mean that flour must be processed/baked somehow before it is
food.  But if the flour is inedible, because it was handled improperly and
spoiled, then it can't be processed into food, and your "food program" has
failed.

I guess the metaphor works: We would still be upset with the people for
mishandling the flour, because the purpose of having flour is to produce
food, and if food can't be produced, we'll still starve.

Likewise, if spam isn't stopped by SPF/SenderID/MARID, then those projects
will have failed.

                --Dean