Re: Can there be an early decision on the SenderID license?

2004-08-25 20:59:02

wayne wrote:

However, it seems to me to be a wise use of this working groups time
to decide the license issue early, and then move on from there.

Thoughts?

Hello

I didn't have strong feelings about the license either way until I read the comment someone made about the issues regarding shipping Sender-ID stuff with operating systems such as various linux and bsd distros. It would seem likely that anything that provides an SMTP related service could be kept out of the distro. Of course, I understand that the end user could enter into a license agreement and get the software, or perhaps it could be distributed with the requirement that you had to license it before using it. Just sounds like bad karma to me. Do you want to download qmail or something but have to go get a license from MS to run it?

But thinking about it from a different point of view -

It sounds like to use _any_ SMTP server you would essentially have to get a license from MS. (Presuming that Sender ID is mainstream)

Waitman Gobble