Re: acceptable licenses (Was: Can there be an early decision on the SenderID license?)

2004-08-26 06:54:44

wayne wrote:
Larry Lessig is a lawyer, lets give him a call and hit his folk
up for some pro bono.

Please feel free to contact Larry.  On Monday, I started making
contact with Eben Moglen (the FSF lawyer) for his input on whether the
SenderID license is compatible with the GPL.  I chose Eben for a
couple of reasons.  First off, he was involved with earlier
discussions with MS over this issue and therefore should be up to
speed on the subject.  Secondly, Eric Allman has used quotes form Eben
in order to claim that the current SenderID license is acceptable.

I had conversations with Larry Rosen of OSI and someone from the FSF in the past few days. In their opinion this license is not compatible with the GPL and most other open source licenses. And yes - they are lawyers.

Yakov