RE: In favour of Sender ID

2004-08-29 07:09:25

 Due to our very clear rules concerning obtaining and maintaining
licenses on installed software, until terms and our liabilities in the
license (current or revised) are made legally crystal clear, as much as
I personally would like to deploy, I will be unable to do so.

 As far as the comments made by Mr.Shelness (btw. Thank you very much
for wading in) is there anything that the group can do to correlate
dates of published ideas (I am assuming that by emailing this public
group it can be a legally protected idea) with IP claims made by MS?

Regards,
Damon Sauer

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Yakov
Shafranovich
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 9:02 PM
To: Paul Iadonisi
Cc: ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: In favour of Sender ID

Paul Iadonisi wrote:
On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 14:21, Roy Badami wrote:

Even if Sender ID is incompatible with the GPL [2] -- and I'm
skeptical that it is except under the most extreme interpretations --

  And we have yet to see a convincing legal argument (or *any* legal
argument) from an attorney posted to this list.  I'd like to know what
Anne Mitchell (on this list) thinks of her legal analysis being called
extreme by a non-lawyer.

The main point here is whether the current IPR issue can delay
deployment. The mere fact that several lawyers have stated their expert
opinion that this license is incompatible with existing open source
licenses, can cause deployment problems. However, it is important to
note how people react to their statements. We have already seen several
parties including myself stating that they will not implement Sender-ID
in their products unless the legal terms are changed, or the legal
situtation is clarified. We also saw several parties, including Roy,
state that they are willing to implement it even with the current legal
situation intact. Therefore, it seems to me that there exists a sizable
percentage of the possible market for this standard that will hesistate
to deploy Sender-ID. This, we have a deployment problem. Whether the
underlying facts that cause it are true, might not be relevant, since we

care about what people will do.

Yakov

*****
it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 113