Re: DEPLOY: SPF/Sender ID support in Courier.

2004-08-30 09:21:35

On Aug 27, 2004, at 8:01 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Microsoft has made certain patent claims on the Sender-ID specification. Microsoft has issued the IPR disclosures and royalty free license required by the IETF.

The IETF does not require a royalty free license.

It appears that IETF's contemporary policies do not prevent the sponsor/advocates from including patented IP material into standards-track specifications, without even requiring the sponsor to actually enumerate and identify their intellectual property; a mere claim of the existence of some nebulous IP rights is sufficient, which can be revealed at any point in the future, at the sponsor's discretion.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

It will not be possible for me to implement Sender ID in Courier. Courier is licensed under the GPL. The FSF already flatly stated that Microsoft's IP license is not GPL compatible. I reviewed the most recent version of Microsoft's proposed IP license, and I've reached the same conclusion. For this reason Sender ID cannot be implemented in Courier; Courier's implementation will be limited to the unencumbered SPF-classic.

A couple of questions:

1) How do you base your decision on incompatibility? I ask this because Courier uses OpenSSL and ships with a file called COPYING which states:

This software is released under the GPL, version 2 (see COPYING.GPL).
Additionally, compiling, linking, and/or using the OpenSSL toolkit in
conjunction with this software is allowed.

According to the FSF, the OpenSSL license is also incompatible with the GPL. Additionally, is the webmail part of Courier licensed in a different way? Would there be issues using it with Apache since the FSF also considers the Apache license to be incompatible with the GPL?

2) Based on my limited understanding of Courier, it seems that the only document in the Sender ID docset that needs to be implemented directly into Courier is the SUBMITTER ESMTP extension. The encumbered portions of Sender ID, -core and -pra, could easily be implemented in a separate module using the courierfilter interface. Are you unwilling to incorporate the unencumbered SUBMITTER even if a core/pra courierfilter were available?

3) If somebody were to patch Courier with Sender ID and distribute it with such modifications, would you take legal action against them?

4) You have stated above that you believe Microsoft's claim is "nebulous" with regard to rights being claimed. Your release notes state "Implemented Sender Policy Framework checking on the From: header. Be sure to read the documentation and understand the implication." Since checking of the From: header is listed in the -pra document, are you concluding that this is not encumbered by Microsoft's claim? If so, how did you come to this conclusion?

-andy