Re: In favour of Sender ID

2004-08-28 19:01:42

Paul Iadonisi wrote:
On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 14:21, Roy Badami wrote:

Even if Sender ID is incompatible with the GPL [2] -- and I'm
skeptical that it is except under the most extreme interpretations --

  And we have yet to see a convincing legal argument (or *any* legal
argument) from an attorney posted to this list.  I'd like to know what
Anne Mitchell (on this list) thinks of her legal analysis being called
extreme by a non-lawyer.

The main point here is whether the current IPR issue can delay deployment. The mere fact that several lawyers have stated their expert opinion that this license is incompatible with existing open source licenses, can cause deployment problems. However, it is important to note how people react to their statements. We have already seen several parties including myself stating that they will not implement Sender-ID in their products unless the legal terms are changed, or the legal situtation is clarified. We also saw several parties, including Roy, state that they are willing to implement it even with the current legal situation intact. Therefore, it seems to me that there exists a sizable percentage of the possible market for this standard that will hesistate to deploy Sender-ID. This, we have a deployment problem. Whether the underlying facts that cause it are true, might not be relevant, since we care about what people will do.

Yakov