Re: on the topic of IPR

2004-08-28 19:00:26

On Aug 28, 2004, at 1:06 AM, David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:

Microsoft's participation is to be highly desired, but if the resulting standard includes any License from Microsoft, then the standard itself becomes evidence of the validity of the patent on the licensed IP. If there is a strong beleif that the IP is not patentable either through prior art or otherwise then MARID should not be taking a position validating it.

Actually, there is nothing this working group can do to validate or invalidate Microsoft's IPR.

After looking at their license and IPR claim, we can decide not to further Sender ID in the standards process, or we can decide to send it on in acceptance of their IPR claim, or we can decide to send it on while ignoring their IPR claim.

The latter has not been discussed here much.

-andy