RE: on the topic of IPR

2004-08-27 13:05:36

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Andrew
Newton
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 6:48 AM
To: IETF MARID WG
Subject: on the topic of IPR

-  On the issue of deployment, there have been many messages regarding
the adoption of Sender ID (as a note, the chair's instructions
specifically called for opinion about personal deployment and not
speculation as to the actions of others).

Speaking as just one small domain owner, I've been lurking on this list for
months and posting on just a few issues that I felt were particularly
important for someone in my position.

Since I don't run my own MTA, the license terms do not directly affect me.
However, it is critical in my mind that the product of the MARID group be
open to all major MTAs.  If some are excluded, it's not worth my time and
effort to try and understand and keep up with a technology that is only even
potentially effective with a fraction (even if a large fraction) of the MTAs
we may send mail to.

It would not matter to me if an open source friendly license were to prevent
or severely burden implementation in a proprietary product or the reverse.

As long as the MARID solution is not open to the full spectrum of developers
(And I think that is clearly the case currently), I will not be publishing
SPF2 (or whatever they end up being called) records for my domains.

Scott Kitterman