Re: on the topic of IPR

2004-08-27 06:55:26

Andrew Newton wrote:

On Aug 27, 2004, at 8:01 AM, Kevin Peuhkurinen wrote:

It makes no sense to say "here we have some verifiably homegrown IP with no encumberances and here we have some encumbered IP. Let's use the encumbered IP rather than the unencumbered IP because otherwise we might get sued by parties unknown".

Is there a connection between "verifiably homegrown" and patent claims?

Only in that by having "verifiably homegrown" technology posted publicly on the Internet, it would bolster our (hypothetical) case to get a patent claim dismissed. See below.

You are correct that the parties are unknown. If this were an arcane subject area, it is most likely that they would remain unknown and probably non-existent. However e-mail and electronic messaging and anti-spam are hot areas of intellectual property. I did take a stroll through the USPTO database and there are numerous, numerous patents in this area. And these do not include the pending patents that cannot be seen.

Also, if company XYZ came forward tomorrow and claimed covering IPR, should we ignore them?

I don't think it is valid to decide not to use a particular technology just because one day a patent claim may be made against it, at least as long as we are confident that there is no existing patents that cover it. As well, I don't think we could rely on IPR holders to necessarily sue Microsoft first. If the Eolas patent gets revoked, other IPR holders may decide that going after MSFT is too risky and may instead strong arm smaller developers and distributors into paying ongoing royalties instead.

In any case, all of this is pure speculation on both of our parts. There is no company XYZ. If they showed up tomorrow and claimed IPR of course we couldn't ignore them, but until they do, they are purely hypothetical. What is fact is that we have been offered an IPR license which is plainly unacceptable to a large percentage of people here. I don't think you can argue around that by saying that if we don't accept it, something worse may come along later.