Re: on the topic of IPR

2004-08-27 05:53:46

On Aug 27, 2004, at 8:01 AM, Kevin Peuhkurinen wrote:

It makes no sense to say "here we have some verifiably homegrown IP with no encumberances and here we have some encumbered IP. Let's use the encumbered IP rather than the unencumbered IP because otherwise we might get sued by parties unknown".

Is there a connection between "verifiably homegrown" and patent claims?

You are correct that the parties are unknown. If this were an arcane subject area, it is most likely that they would remain unknown and probably non-existent. However e-mail and electronic messaging and anti-spam are hot areas of intellectual property. I did take a stroll through the USPTO database and there are numerous, numerous patents in this area. And these do not include the pending patents that cannot be seen.

Also, if company XYZ came forward tomorrow and claimed covering IPR, should we ignore them?

-andy