Re: In favour of Sender ID (was: DEPLOY: SPF/Sender ID support in Courier.)

2004-08-28 13:14:47

On Aug 28, 2004, at 12:09 PM, Paul Iadonisi wrote:

  This makes no sense.  MAIL FROM is most certainly at least as
available to the MUA as Sender-ID via the Return-Path: header.  Neither
is displayed by most MUAs, but if I'm not mistaken, Sender-ID identity
is heuristically determined.  Return-Path: is one value, so it is
presumably much simpler to determine.
Your main points are true: In general, the Return-Path and the PRA value are both in the headers and available to MUAs to display. And yes, Return-Path requires less processing than the PRA. (Though given that the headers are read and parsed anyway, PRA isn't that hard.)

However, you are mistaken: There is nothing heuristic in the PRA identity. It follows directly from the RFC 2822 definition of the headers. The meanings of From:, Sender:, Resent-From:, and Resent-Sender: is in there, as is their relative precedence and the ordering issue with Resent-Sender: and multiple Resent-* blocks.

  Anyhow, that may not be significant.  It's the only technical
disagreement I have with you that I can discern from your post here.

Ditto here.

        - Mark