RE: The SSL license offer.

2004-09-02 16:12:45

In <792DE28E91F6EA42B4663AE761C41C2A02CEB896(_at_)cliff(_dot_)bai(_dot_)org>
"Ryan Malayter" <rmalayter(_at_)bai(_dot_)org> writes:

[Hallam-Baker, Phillip]
The patent is held by Netscape (AOL) and covers transport layer
security. The terms are considerably more vague than in the SenderID
case. Netscape does not promise to offer a sublicensable patent or
even to offer reasonable or non discriminatory terms.

The terms "reasonable" and "non descriminatory" of RAND are almost
meaningless.

I bet that I could define terms that you would intersubjectively
agree to be unreasonable and discriminatory.

The problem isn't the patents, the problem is the license.  It is the
terms of the licenses that make the SenderID patent license
incompatible with the GPL and causes folks like sourceforge need a
license in order to redistribute the senderid-milter.

The OpenSSL TLS patent and license dates 1996 or 1997.  It is hard to
even dig up information to refresh my memory about this issue.

But the terms were never even published.