Re: (DEPLOY) In Support of Sender ID

2004-09-03 05:43:17

I'm reluctant to join the fray as I find myself feeling caught in the
middle. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I speak for myself but work for a well known website which generates a
fair amount of outbound mail mainly from a web GUI interface which
customers interact with. Phishing is an issue for my employer and we
are clearly interested in solutions which work. We have changed our
mode of operation so that we could publish SPF1 records (by not
sending emails as if it was the user sending them). We also recognized
that other solutions such as CallerID and DomainKeys were on the
horizon.

The merging of CallerID and SPF into SenderID presented an opportunity
to provide a generally accepted solution to reduce forgeries for both
RFC2821 and RFC2822 headers. The issue of licenses does not directly
impact us with the most recent changes made by Microsoft as we would
simply be an end-user.

I recognize that there is significant controversy over the licensing
issue with many posters to this list indicating that they will not
implement SenderID given the current situation. Fragmented
implementation of standards (specified or de facto) by recipient MTAs
(I'm setting aside the issue of MUAs as it would take a longer time
frame for implementation in any event) is perhaps worse than no
implementation at all. The risk of lost communications or
troubleshooting problems would at best be difficult. Differing and
competing implementations, whether within a standards framework or
outside of it, is likely to have a potentially large negative impact
on a core service provided over the Internet.

Given that last call is almost over and considering the lack of
consensus with regard to SenderID, I would prefer to see the Working
Group not put forward SenderID but I would not like to see it killed.
If core and unified SPF could be moved forward or simply SPF classic,
that would at least be a step in the right direction. There is
potential in SenderID that should not be discarded lightly. Given more
time and less "heat" it may be possible to resolve the current issues
given some flexibility by all concerned.

To illustrate why consensus is important to deployment I decided to do
a little checking after reading the post from J . Trevor Hughes
stating how strongly ESPC and it's members support SenderID. I
decided to check the extent to which members of the Email Service
Provider Coalition have published either SPF1, SPF2.0/PRA or both. The
results are somewhat interesting and bear on the issue of deployment.
This is clearly a group of companies which should have a strong
interest in authenticated email solutions (As Mr. Hughes pointed out
in his email). If there are issues with achieving deployment (of
anything) by a group that should have the strongest motivation, what
happens when various large recipient (mail service providers) impose
inconsistent requirements on sending MTAs? My concern is that the
larger universe of organizations and companies will simply ignore any
standards and go with whatever meets their immediate need.

The results are as follows:

52 companies listed
27 have no TXT record in DNS (more than half)
17 have SPF1 only
3 have SPF2.0/PRA only
4 have both SPF1 and SPF2.0/PRA

The detailed list as follows:

NO                         Adknowledge, Inc.
SPF1                     aQuantive
SPF1,SPF2.0/PRA Constant Contact (Formerly Roving Software)
NO                        Digital Impact
SPF1                     DoubleClick
NO                        Experian
NO                        Got Marketing
SPF1                     ProspectivDirect
SPF2.0/PRA          SKYLIST
NO 24/7                 Real Media
NO                        @Once
NO                        Acxiom
SPF1                    Advertising.com
NO                        AFG Media
SPF1                    Bigfoot Interactive
SPF1                    BlueHornet Networks, Inc.
NO                       BlueStreak
SPF1                    Britemoon
SPF1,SPF2.0/PRA CheetahMail
NO                       Datran Media
NO                       Digital Connexxions
NO                       eDialog
NO                       EmailLabs
SPF1                    ExactTarget
NO                       Exmplar, Inc.
SPF1                    IMN
SPF1                   Inter(_at_)ctivate, Inc.
SPF1                   Internet Marketing Center
NO                      The Lift Network
NO                      Mediaplex
SPF1                   NetCreations, inc.
NO                      Performics
SPF1,SPF2.0/PRA Pexicom, Inc.
SPF1,SPF2.0/PRA Port25 Solutions, Inc.
NO                       Postfuture
SPF1                   Quris
NO                       RightNow Technologies
SPF1                    Responsys
NO                       Return Path
NO                       Savicom
SPF1                   Silverpop
SPF2.0/PRA        SmartSource
NO                      SourceLink
NO                      StrongMail Systems
YES                    SubscriberMail, LLC
SPF2.0/PRA        TargitInteractive
SPF1                   Topica
NO                      Traffix, Inc.
NO                      TranSend, Inc.
NO                      ValueClick
SPF1                   VerticalResponse
NO                      Yesmail

Michael Hammer  dotzero(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com