Re: (DEPLOY) In Support of Sender ID

2004-09-03 08:54:08

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Graham Murray wrote:

Rand Wacker <rand(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com> writes:

As I said before, there is a large majority of mail that goes from large
commercial sites (or consumer ISPs) merely one hop to another large
commercial ISP, so the From: header will be successfully authenticated.

In the case of sending from a large ISP (and that includes commercial
sites who outsource email) that is not true. Unless the ISP does
additional checking then Sender-ID (and SPF) still allows a customer
of the ISP to forge the mail as coming from any other customer of that
ISP.

Sorry, I should have said "the domain of the From: header"  Such is the
limitation of doing domain-based auth.  The limitation of doing user-based
auth is a high barrier to deployment.

-Rand