X-header for forwarding MTAs

2004-09-03 13:05:50
Both Yakov , Thomas and others have made calls to focus on technical
issues, so here's a strictly technical issue.

One of the weakness of SenderID is its exclusive focus on the last hop.
If I receive my email via an alumni forwarding MTA, the alumni MTA might
or might not run the SenderID check but regardless the MTA probably
still accepts and passes the message through because it is a forwarder.
When the message arrives at my MTA I can run the SenderID check but
again I'll accept the message because it is coming from my alumni
forwarder.  What I'd like to know is if the connection to my forwarder
failed the SenderID test.

Having as part of the standard some sort of x-header that well-behaving
forwarders used would allow me to look beyond the last hop.  For
example, "x-senderid-result receiver=forwarder.com connecting-ip=x.x.x.x
pra-result=fail".  While such a record can be forged there is no reason
to forge failures (what would be the point). Knowing that somewhere in
the chain authentication has broken down would allow me to take further
action based on failed authentication.  In addition, the same header
could potentially be used to communicate between the MTA and the MUA but
that is another discussion probably best left to asrg.

Craig Taylor
VP, Technology
Ironport System