Re: X-header for forwarding MTAs

2004-09-03 14:44:56

Craig Taylor wrote:
One of the weakness of SenderID is its exclusive focus on the last hop. If I receive my email via an alumni forwarding MTA, the alumni MTA might or might not run the SenderID check but regardless the MTA probably still accepts and passes the message through because it is a forwarder. When the message arrives at my MTA I can run the SenderID check but again I'll accept the message because it is coming from my alumni forwarder. What I'd like to know is if the connection to my forwarder failed the SenderID test.

Can you give a reason of why you would be interested in that? Can you rely on your forwarder to do the checking?

Having as part of the standard some sort of x-header that well-behaving forwarders used would allow me to look beyond the last hop. For example, "x-senderid-result receiver=forwarder.com connecting-ip=x.x.x.x pra-result=fail". While such a record can be forged there is no reason to forge failures (what would be the point). Knowing that somewhere in the chain authentication has broken down would allow me to take further action based on failed authentication. In addition, the same header could potentially be used to communicate between the MTA and the MUA but that is another discussion probably best left to asrg.

There was a "Received-SPF" header in the SPF draft. The problem with relying on headers is that they can be faked. This is one of the main issues we ran up against in the ASRG when discussing a common standard for MTA/MUA communications (for example, see http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:millenix.zemos.net/asrg-filtering/draft-irtf-asrg-filtering-header.html). One of the easy ways in dealing with it, is simply stripping all previous headers which I believe what SpamAssassin does. This would be problem when multiple forwarding hops are involved but it might be sufficient for a case like the one you are talking about.

One of the beautiful things about Sender-ID and its related proposals is that they are based on one piece of data from the SMTP transaction that cannot be easily faked - the IP address of the incoming SMTP client (yes, I know about BGP attacks). The basic issue here is that Sender-ID is designed for MTA authorization which by definition is single-hop. Extending it past a single hop might better done with solutions like DomainKeys.

But, on the other hand it might be possible to use the information in the headers including the "Received" and "Resent-*" headers to backtrack and verify each step. Of course, as William Leibzon pointed out in a different thread, that is not reliable.

Yakov