Re: TECH: use fetchmail algorithm to select header address to verify

2004-09-06 13:26:38

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 07:30:31PM -0000,
 John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 74 lines which said:

My proposal is to use this scheme to determine the address to check,

Nice idea but, as discussions on this group showed, there is little
hope to have a consensus on this algorithm. Hence the "unified SPF"
(http://spf.pobox.com/unified/) idea which disconnects the protocol
and the DNS RR from the choice of the domain used for the
validation. "Unified SPF" gives you several choices for this domain
and your (fetchmail's) algorithm could be one of them.

If there's interest in this, I'd be happy to help write it up as an
I-D.

Good idea, but as a part of "Unified SPF", like PRA is (see
http://spf.pobox.com/unified/7-pra.txt as an example).