Re:

2004-09-07 12:04:15

To clarify further, the chairs have asked the working group to
respond to a specific set of consensus calls on technical matters
related to a specification in an extended working group last
call.  They have _not_ asked the working group not to consider
IPR issues as a whole; there is a lively discussion of that within
the working group.  This is a tool to make it easier to pull
the threads of conversation apart, and it is sorely needed in
a working group as active as MARID.  They have similarly
asked folks to preface email messages in the working group
last call with topic prefixes like: DEPLOY, TECH-OMISSION,
and DOC-BUG.

As the AD for this group, I was informed in advance of their
intention to use these tools to focus discussion, and I agree
that they are needed.  I do not believe that they in any way
have prevented folks from discussing the IPR issue; they are
simply ways to keep conversational flow on technical topics
going.
                regards,
                        Ted Hardie
                        co-Area Director, Applications