[no subject]

2004-09-07 10:11:07

A question about IETF process:

On September 3, 2004 Andrew Newton wrote to the members of the
IETF MARID WG via the 'ietf-mxcomp' list, on behalf of the
WG co-chairs (Marshall T. Rose, Andrew Newton)

   "... We ask that all participants respond to these
    messages without regard to the IPR issue now before
    the working group..." [1]

Question:

Are IETF WG chairs empowered under IETF rules to require that
a technical proposal/issue be [considered and] responded to "without
regard" to IPR concerns that WG members might have, viz.,
with regard to a particular IPR declaration and/or with regard
to IPR concerns in general?

It is not clear whether the language "We ask" might be (A) a
polite request or recommendation, or whether it could also
be (B) an instruction based upon the authority of the chair to
so restrict contributed responses on the WG list, backed by
sanctions.  [IEEE has the latter, as I understand its WG rules.]

Thanks,
Robin Cover

[1] http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg04201.html