DOC-BUG: Terminology: Purported Responsible Address

2004-09-07 16:47:11

"Roy" == Roy Badami <roy(_at_)gnomon(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk> writes:

    Roy> In the case of a Sender ID checker, the term makes sense.
    Roy> The identity is only purported; we don't know yet if the
    Roy> message is forged.

Well, no one followed up on this, and on reflection I think maybe
"Purported Responsible Address" isn't such a bad term.

It doesn't seem particularly inappropriate even in contexts where the
message is know to be authentic.  A message always purports to be from
someone; in the case of an authentic mesasge the purported sender may
be known to be the same as the actual sender (and in the case of a
well-intentioned sender this will typically be the case).

So I withdraw my proposal; I think "Purported Responsible Address" is
fine; but it should be clear that this is just the name for the result
of the PRA algorithm, without any implications as to the accuracy (or
otherwise) of the identity.

           -roy