Re: clarification on consensus call for compromise

2004-09-10 10:13:46

Margaret Olson wrote:

On Sep 10, 2004, at 11:31 AM, AccuSpam wrote:

Reading the complete archive will help you understand why the
decisions were made.  You may not agree with those decisions, but so
be it.

I have an extremely large archive of discussions I have made over the past several years. Reading that might help you understand my perspective. You may not agree with my perspective, nor have a month of time to read all my historical perspective, but nevertheless I think we are both entitled to express our opinion, especially about an important decision that affects all e-mail.

That is to say do not assume your history is more important than my history (or perspective).

The issue is not that your perspective isn't potentially valuable, the point is that all of these issues have been discussed, at great length, on *this* list. We can not reopen all the issues every time someone new joins. All of us have studied the problems discussed here at great length, many of us over a number of years. Repetition of points already thoroughly explored do not contribute to the discussion. Please study the archives before posting further. If you do not have time to catch up with the list, I suggest that you do not have time to participate.

Speaking entirely for myself.

And I would add to that that the WG has made consensus decisions at certain points, which is what Andy was trying to address. IETF WGs work by consensus, and certain decisions of this WG have already been made before.

Ykaov