Re: DEPLOY: not at the University of Cambridge

2004-09-10 11:04:17

David Woodhouse <dwmw2(_at_)infradead(_dot_)org> wrote:
Consider the case where you send mail a user at one of my virtual
domains, and my mail hosts forward it on to the final recipient. Some
definitions of 'forgery' may include the mail which my mail host sends
on... but my definition does not.

  Your definition is irrelevant.

  What matters is the definitions published by the owners of the
domains used in SMTP fields, and the application of those definitions
by the recipient MTA.

  The whole purpose of MARID is to define how those definitions are
published and interpreted, so that their application can be automated.
Phrased another way, my MTA doesn't read this list, so it doesn't know
what your definition of forgery is, and it therefore cannot apply it
to incoming messages.

  Alan DeKok.