Re: Some stats on TXT usage in domain names (updated)

2004-09-13 20:21:27

In late May and late June, I conducted surveys of a list of 1.3
million email domains found in a spammer's list.  Yesterday, I ran
another survey to see how things have progressed.

There was a net increase of 5729 domains with SPF records, a 68.5%
increase in the last three months.  SPF records are by far the most
common type of TXT record usage, and if trends continue, SPF records
will represent over half of all TXT records atthe domain level by
early next year.

1289260 total domain names  (same as last time)
  39205 total TXT records found (some domains have more than one)
  14089 have SPF records -> 35.9% of all domain level TXT records are
        spf records.

  34932 domains have txt records

  99702 spf_domains adoption roll

Earlier stats as a reference:

In <x48yedh0b3(_dot_)fsf(_at_)footbone(_dot_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wayne
<wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> writes:

1289260 total domain names  (same as last time)
  35115 total TXT records found (some domains have more than one)
   8360 have SPF records -> 23.8% of all domain level TXT records are
        spf records.

  26359 domains have txt records

  18968 spf_domains adoption roll

     87 have Caller-ID records

Last months stats as a reference:

In <x4wu35ml3v(_dot_)fsf(_at_)footbone(_dot_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wayne
<wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> writes:

1289260 total domain names
  33016 total TXT records found (some domains have more than one)
   6320 have SPF records -> 19.1% of all domain level TXT records are
        spf records

  26359 domains have txt records
   6315 domains have spf records

   1456 domains found that were also in the adopt roll -> 23.0%

  14192 spf_domains adoption roll

  61554 estimated domains have SPF records.  (This probably misses
        most parked domains, of which I have heard rumors that there
        are a least a couple hundred thousand with SPF records.

      82 have Caller-ID records
      57 have both Caller-ID records and SPF records
      45 have "testing=true" in the C-ID records.
      25 have C-ID records only, of which three (10%) are microsoft.com,
         exchange.microsoft.com and hotmail.com