Re: co-chair judgment of consensus related to last call period of 23-Aug-2004 to 10-Sept-2004

2004-09-13 20:28:30

In
<200409121750(_dot_)i8CHocL28553(_at_)zeder(_dot_)TechFak(_dot_)Uni-Bielefeld(_dot_)DE>
 Peter Koch <pk(_at_)TechFak(_dot_)Uni-Bielefeld(_dot_)DE> writes:

And regarding the "installed base": while I appreciate the efforts by the
proponents and the early adopters, recent counts for a certain larger
TLD show that there are only a few thousand TXT RRs with "spf" content,
often multiple of those existing in (below) the same 2nd level domain.
Less than 2% of TXT RRs are used for SPF.

I seem to recall a survey of the .de TLD, but I can't find it.  (The
closest I found was your survey of DNS servers.)

If I recall correctly, the survey counted things a little bit
differently than the surveys that I've done, but the results were
reasonablely consistent when the differences were taken into account.

For example, you say that 2% of TXT records are used for SPF.  This
may well be true, but at the spot in the domain hierarchy where SPF
records are likely to be checked (the email domain names), I found 19%
back in May and 36% in my most recent survey.

Can you give me a pointer to this survey that you are referring to?
Can you explain the differences between the 2% you quote and the 36% I
found?

Across all domains, the total is certainly over 100,000 as the SPF
adoption roll is just under that number.  Many of the SPF records I
found in my survey aren't on the adoption roll since the adoption roll
is completely optional.  I would guess that there are somehwere
between 150,000 and 300,000 SPF records currently deployed.

-wayne