Re: DEPLOY: DNS Record Types

2004-09-14 06:04:39

On Sep 14, 2004, at 08:57, Jim Lyon wrote:

On Monday, September 13, 2004 at 10:39 PM, Jonathan de Boyne-Pollard
said:

The DNS resolver APIs on all Microsoft OS's don't let you
query for an unknown record type.
Rubbish.
<http://msdn.microsoft.com./library/en-us/dns/dns/dnsquery.asp>

If you're behind a firewall and you call this API with an unknown record
type, it will fail with INVALID_PARAMETER.

What is the chance/risk you have some box behind a firewall, allow incoming traffic using port 25/TCP but disallow the box to make outgoing 53/UDP+TCP connections?

I.e. yes, you are correct on this limitation, but, it will in reality be possible for the box to send and receive DNS packets by itself IF it is located so it accept incoming SMTP connections over the Internet. And I claim enough boxes will be able to do that, and that a minority will have the problem.

   paf