Re: co-chair judgment of consensus related to last call period of 23-Aug-2004 to 10-Sept-2004

2004-09-14 04:45:25

On Sep 11, 2004, at 19:59, Andrew Newton wrote:

2) On the issue of compliance with the use of the TXT record, the working group has at least rough consensus that TXT usage is acceptable for compliance and should not be specified as a configuration that will be non-compliant. However, there is at least rough consensus that the use of the SPF-specific record type is more desirable than the use of a TXT record type. It is the opinion of the co-chairs that the -protocol document clearly state that the usage of TXT records will most likely be deprecated by future protocol definition.

Given this text it is not clear to me whether the -protocol document will specify any kind of use of TXT records.

My view is still that:

- TXT records are in use for SPF and friends already
- There is no need for the MARID wg to specify how to use TXT records
- Instead the MARID wg should specify a new RR Type, and specify how it is used

I.e. it is enough with one transition, from what some people use today, to what the MARID wg is specifying. Yes, it is ok for the -protocol document to talk about this transition, but...I don't like seeing "short term deployment of MARID things" because short-term doesn't exist on the Internet.

      Patrik