Re: IPR: analysis of Microsoft patent applications

2004-09-18 03:20:37

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 23:51 +0000, John Levine wrote:
My personal inclination is to say that none of the domain/IP
verification schemes are good enough to be worth this much heartburn,
put them all back on the shelf, do CSV and BATV, and turn our
attention to MASS.

I was violently in agreement with that assessment even _without_ the
patent issues, which I personally am more than happy to ignore (at my
peril, as you say).

When considered holistically, the domain/IP verification schemes don't
actually manage to achieve anything more than CSV does -- they only give
a way to determine how much to trust the individual mail server which is
offering the mail.

Thus, the heartburn of requiring ubiquitous deployment of SRS and the
addition of the Forwarded-For: header was too much for me, even without
the patent. There are better answers.

--
dwmw2