Re: Make CSV backwards compatible with SPF?

2004-09-21 01:01:04

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Douglas Otis wrote:

This is a repeat of an older debate. This would not be an improvement
over the current CSV draft.  SPF often requires a series of lookups to
resolve an address list.  This list is often not fully defined as it is
commonly intended to associate mailbox domains with a much larger set of
MTA addresses.  It also may allow the EHLO domain to use SPF/Sender-ID
records as a means to spoof, as these records are often open-ended.  The
host name used within the EHLO domain will require a separate record
anyway, so why not use a record that achieves an answer within a single
lookup?

My argument for this idea is simply that we settled on the SPF format
simply because single lookups (an "exists" lookup) were not flexible
enough for people's full needs. I doubt CSV's single lookup will be
either. Of course there is nowhere near as much adoption of CSV as there
is of SPF so we can't possibly be certain of this yet.

Matt.