Re: Make CSV backwards compatible with SPF?

2004-09-21 11:57:14

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 01:00, Matt Sergeant wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Douglas Otis wrote:

This is a repeat of an older debate. This would not be an improvement
over the current CSV draft.  SPF often requires a series of lookups to
resolve an address list.  This list is often not fully defined as it is
commonly intended to associate mailbox domains with a much larger set of
MTA addresses.  It also may allow the EHLO domain to use SPF/Sender-ID
records as a means to spoof, as these records are often open-ended.  The
host name used within the EHLO domain will require a separate record
anyway, so why not use a record that achieves an answer within a single
lookup?

My argument for this idea is simply that we settled on the SPF format
simply because single lookups (an "exists" lookup) were not flexible
enough for people's full needs. I doubt CSV's single lookup will be
either. Of course there is nowhere near as much adoption of CSV as there
is of SPF so we can't possibly be certain of this yet.

You are right.  Much like a post-mark, the CSV records simply fix SMTP
EHLO authentication to lay a solid foundation upon which other
relationships can be asserted using additional records.  Importantly, an
authenticated MTA name is strong enough to provide reputation
assertions.  Building upon a validated list of MTA names allows a
relationship with some mailbox-domain and some vast mail channel to be
asserted using a simple name list.  There would be little motivation to
spoof the mailbox-domain/mail-channel (open) relationships, as this
identity would typically be unable to serve a gate-keeping function.  In
the few cases where it is used in this manner, the outbound mail-channel
must not be shared, and recipients must be alerted to not offer a
forwarded mail address.

By allowing the MTA to be validated, this identifies where the mail
originated, much like a post-mark.  Should you receive a letter from
Uncle Jon, but from a different city, you can write back and asked about
his trip.  If he says "What trip?" then the post-mark served a valuable
service.  If there was a crime, this electronic post-mark indicates
where to obtain logs to discover the true source of the message.  The
post-mark itself may be all that is needed should this be used by a
single organization.

At some point in the future, it is possible mail providers may request
customers to create CSV-CSA records to enable the use of customer's
domain within the EHLO name for messages being sent on their behalf.
This assumes the CSV name reputation trumps any IP address black-list,
as it should.

This additional record could be:
_marid.my-mailbox-domain.tld. PTR  my-isp.com.
_marid.my-mailbox-domain.tld. PTR  my-support.com.
_marid.my-mailbox-domain.tld. PTR  my-remote-office.com.

The scope of the assertions implied by this _marid record should be for
a single field, the RFC2822 From and nothing else in my view.  As I said
in another post, it could be for the REF2821 MAIL FROM or the PRA
selected field for that matter.

The point is simple. By using a name list rather than an address list,
there is no need for highly risky and time consuming subsequent lookups
to just discover addresses.  A name is a much more concise means of
expressing this relationship which does not involve the same level of
maintenance and trouble.

The great thing about rehabilitating the EHLO name, is that this name is
provided early in every SMTP session.  The EHLO name is captured within
the message headers to allow tracing.  There is no need for submitter or
to invent new mail headers to discern where the message is originating
with the use of CSV applying the post-mark so to speak.