RE: Disappointed

2004-09-22 18:36:53

  I am also disappointed at the putting off of the extremely important
non-technical IPR issue until it was too late.  The members of IETF,
wanting to be faithful to the 'E' in the name, naturally want to
concentrate on engineering issues at least primarily, but even ONLY
engineering, if that's possible.  I would like to suggest that if that
is the desire, it is an impossibility.  You cannot
compartmentalize your work that way.

The engineering issues are trivial and more or less irrelevant.

The problem has always been how to get ubiquitous deployment.

The spammers have won this round. That has consequences.

Those arguing that the ITU take over responsibility for Internet
standards will probably cite this result as evidence.