WG to close ; Re: Make CSV backwards compatible with SPF? (new revisions)

2004-09-22 17:16:57

On 9/22/2004 12:52 PM, The IESG sent forth electrons to convey:

The MTA Authorization Records in DNS (MARID) working group in the
Applications Area has concluded.
: (     (more fully expressed by Greg Connor, with whom I fully concur, at
      http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.mxcomp/5240 .)

Thanks to all those working to produce a good MARID standard.

The mailing list will remain active.
: )      (Bryce: unsubcrlbe!)  BTW, how many subscribers do we have (peak?)

The Area Directors intend, therefore, to request that the
experimental proposals be reviewed by a focused technology
directorate. This review group has not yet been formed but, as with
all directorates, its membership will be publicly listed at
http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/directorates.html once it has been
constituted.

I believe that a directorate being so tasked would be contrary to the goals of the IETF. It puts undue power in the hands of the directorate and its appointers. Spamfighting inherently presents a great challenge to achieving rough consensus. But the IETF consensus-building process is going to do a far better job achieving it than a directorate appointed by the area directors. This is evidenced by the ill-advised (and/or poorly made) decision push SenderID to last call. This decision was made by folks who were appointed by the the same folks who will appoint the directorate, yes? What a recipe for disaster! I'm opposed. Avoidance of deleterious effects is not something that creation of such a directorate would make any easier. (It also is the case that a good MARID will by design, have deleterious effects on certain traffic, e.g. email from most members of the DMA.) It seems to me that CSV and SPF were (are) both more ready for last call than SenderID ever was.

On 9/22/2004 1:01 AM, Douglas Otis sent forth electrons to convey: