Re: WG to close ; Re: Make CSV backwards compatible with SPF? (new revisions)

2004-09-23 07:50:59

CSV is a solution based on two methods: CSA vs. DNA.
 CSV is a suite of specifications that also includes DNA.

The assertion that there is a "versus" between CSA and DNA is quite
simply wrong.

Anyone not clear about the roles and functions of components in the the
CSA specification is strongly encouraged to asked detailed questions
about them.  That way, we will know what needs to be changed in the
specifications, to improve their clarity.

 The EHLO/MAIL FROM validation is
useless if RCPT TO is invalid.

 CSV allows the construction of name based relationships to relate
 mailbox domains with the mail channel, as example, without requiring
 subsequent lookups.

Invalid Rcpt-to?  I suspect that was meant to refer to RFC2821.mailfrom.

In any event, the RFC2821.helo/ehlo parameter is is per-session and is
used to validate the OPERATOR OF THE MTA.  The other SMTP parameters are
per-message.  MailFrom validation mechanisms pertain to the SENDER OF
THE MESSAGE.

These are entirely different entities, and validating each of them has
entirely different benefits.

d/
--
Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://brandenburg.com>